“The Yaya’s Aloha Bowl”
Here is a simple, fast, and most of all, Yummy recipe for you all. A Vegan take on the Hawaiian Poke Bowl.
Poke means diced fish in Hawaiian and is prepared raw. Here we will marinate diced Hawaiian Strawberry Papaya, which, combined with the marine aroma of Nori seaweed, dill, and pickled ginger, will bring a nice sea breeze to your table without hurting any of our oceanic friends. Our Rainbow bowl’s success will rest on the diversity and the mix of flavors, sweet, tangy, and umami; textures, crispy soft and chewy; and temperature, raw and warm. Across the spectrum of colors and tastes, we invite you to try our Vegan Rainbow Bowl, a healthy delight: Aloha!
This is a healthy and satisfying meal in a bowl. Delicious for a brunch and a lunch or as a day’s sole meal, inspired by Hawaiian and Asian cuisine but also not really.
The ingredients you need for this delicious recipe:
(quantities are for 2 big bowls)
- 1 Strawberry Papaya
- 1 block of Tempeh
- 1 cup of Jasmine Rice
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup of pickled ginger
- Nori (Black Seaweed in Sheets)
- Sesame-Nori spice (black and white sesame, nori, and salt)
- Dill Weed spice
- Toasted sesame oil
- Olive oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Fresh Cilantro
- Balsamic Glaze
Here is the recipe, step by step.
The first thing you want to do is prepare and marinate the Papaya:
- Peel the papaya
- Cut in half
- Scoop out the seeds (save them and grow your own Papaya tree)
- Dice the papaya
- Thinly slice the pickled ginger into strings in a small salad bowl
- Diced papaya, sliced ginger, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, as much dill weed as you think you’d like (at least 1 tablespoon), Nori Spice.
- Stir well and leave to marinate while you change the station.
Prepare the Rice:
- Pilaf the rice in a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil, which means wait until the rice is translucent before adding the water.
- Add two cups of water
- Add half a cup of Apple Cider Vinegar (if you don't have apple vinegar you can do the recipe without it)
Prepare the Tempeh:
(if you don't find Tempeh you can use firm Tofu or even Seitan)
- Dice and Cut the Tempeh laterally, so the bits are not thick.
- Stir in a bowl with one teaspoon of toasted sesame bowl and half a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Heat your pan, then sautée the tempeh to taste; we recommend golden to dark crust.
Almost Ready now....
Prepare the bowl:
- Arrange the nori in your bowl against the bottom and the wall, a bowl within the bowl.
- The first layer is Papaya.
- The second Layer is Rice.
- The third layer is the Tempeh.
- Top with Fresh Cilantro and Balsamic Glaze
With Chopsticks, eat by digging down to the bottom. The textures, the tastes, should be savored slowly. The nori has softened with the warm rice, the papaya is tangy, the Tempeh crunchy.
This recipe was developed by Yaya Herman Dune, vegan for 24 years now, Musician and Vegan food lover. We hope you will enjoy it as much as we did, let us know how it went for you!